An unprecedented growth of human knowledge in the field of Biological Sciences coupled with equally significant developments in the field of technology have brought significant changes into existing social and economic systems. The emerging field of Biotechnology is likely to further enhance the applications of Science and Technology for human welfare. Modern Biotechnology processes encompass a wide range of new products such as antibiotics, vaccines, monoclonal antibodies and many more. Furthermore, developments in recombinant DNA technology have yielded numerous new useful products in the fields of healthcare and agriculture. The present syllabus takes care of all these aspects. Due emphasis has been laid on familiarizing the learners with the fundamental concepts, basic techniques and their applications. It is expected that the knowledge gained through the study of different topics and the skills acquired through the prescribed practical work will make the learners competent to meet the challenges of academic as well as professional courses after studying the subject at senior secondary stage.
The broad objectives of teaching Biotechnology at senior secondary level are to:
- help the learners know and understand basic facts and concepts of the subject at elementary stage.
- expose the students to different basic processes and basic techniques used in Biotechnology.
- familiarize the learners to understand the relationship of the subject to health, nutrition, environment, agriculture and industry, etc.
- develop conceptual competence in the learners so as to cope up with professional courses in future career.
- acquaint students with different applications of Biotechnology in everyday life.
- develop an interest in students to study Biotechnology as a discipline.
CBSE Class 11 Bio-Technology Course Structure
|Unit- I||Biotechnology: An overview||5|
|Unit- II||Molecules of Life||20|
|Unit- III||Genetics and Molecular Biology||20|
|Unit- IV||Cells and Organisms||25|
CBSE Class 11 Bio-Technology Theory Syllabus 2022-2023
Unit-I Biotechnology: An overview
Chapter 1: Biotechnology: An Overview
Historical Perspectives, Technology and Applications of Biotechnology, Global market and Biotech Products.
Unit-II Molecules of Life
Chapter 1: Biomolecules: Building Blocks
Building Blocks of Carbohydrates – Sugars and their Derivatives, Building Blocks of Proteins- Amino Acids, Building Blocks of Lipids – Simple Fatty Acids, Glycerol and Cholesterol, Building Blocks of Nucleic Acids – Nucleotides.
Chapter 2: Macromolecules: Structure & Function
Carbohydrates – The Energy Givers, Proteins – The Performers, Enzymes – The Catalysts, Lipids and Biomembranes – The Barriers, Nucleic Acids – The Managers
Unit-III Genetics and Molecular Biology
Chapter 1: Concepts of Genetics
Historical Perspective, Multiple Alleles, Linkage and Crossing Over, Genetic Mapping.
Chapter 2: Genes and Genomes: Structure and Function
Discovery of DNA as Genetic Material, DNA Replication, Fine Structure of the Genes, From Gene to Protein, Transcription – The Basic Process, Genetic Code, Translation, Mutations, Human Genetic Disorders.
Unit IV: Cells and Organisms
Chapter 1: The Basic Unit of Life
Cell Structure and Components, Organization of Life
Chapter 2: Cell Growth and Development
Cell Division, Cell Cycle, Cell Communication, Nutrition, Reproduction, Immune Response in Animals.
CBSE Class 11 Bio-Technology Practical Syllabus 2022-2023
- Preparation of buffers and pH determination
- Sterilization techniques
- Preparation of bacterial growth medium
- Cell counting
- Sugar Estimation using Di Nitro Salicylic Acid test (DNS test)
- Assay for amylase enzyme
- Protein estimation by biuret method
Scheme of Evaluation
Time: 3 Hours
Max. Marks 30
The scheme of evaluation at the end of session will be as under:
Two experiments : 20
Marks Viva on experiments : 5
Marks Practical record : 5 Mark
Prescribed Books for CBSE Class 11 Bio-Technology
- A Text Book of Biotechnology – Class XI : Published by CBSE, New Delhi
- As reference- Biotechnology – Class XI : Published by NCERT, New Delhi
- A Laboratory Manual of Biotechnology – Class XI : Published by CBSE, New Delhi